Add Me On Goodreads!

Awakening Iris (The Dreamcatchers Saga #1)

Friday, June 14, 2013

Behind The Dreamcatcher

My fascination for dreamcatchers originated from a young age. I grew up around them and searched for them in shops, and at fairs and festivals. My mother and grandmother new well of them though I don't remember ever seeing many in the house.

I loved how they so easily came together in such a beautiful way and how one dreamcatcher could look so much different from another. I loved how the fur would wrap itself around the webbing so perfectly and how the soft feathers would hang so delicately.

The webbing in itself amazed me, it was stitched together so well. I was thrilled at the fact that from now on it would be watching over me as I slept and my dreams as well. I knew very well the story of how the dreamcatcher captured the dreams and at first I never doubted it's brilliance.

Not long after my discovery (at still a very small age) my dad started making them. I watch for as long as it took from start to finish and swore to myself that I would remember how to do that so I could make my own one day.

 I recall one day he handed me one and told me that it was for me. And it was my first dreamcatcher that I had ever owned (that I can at least recall) and I remember it being so very and purely snow white. I was absolutely thrilled and insisted that he hang it up above my bed right away. As I would say my goodnight prayers I would just stare at that beauty every night before I went to sleep. And it stayed there for quite some time. Then I just remember one day it being gone. And with myself being so young I don't know where it went though I often wish at times I had that old white dreamcatcher back.

Before I go on with my story I should mention that one of my middle names is Comfort. Comfort Nickita to be exact. My mother named me Comfort after a "Twilight Zone" episode where a woman changed into a black panther at night. Now I will continue...

Several years later at about the age of 14 or 15 my mom brought home with her a dreamcatcher that she gave me as a surprise. It's black, but instead of webbing in the middle it's a picture of a wolf looking into water and the wolfs reflection is a young woman. She said it reminded her of my middle name Comfort and wanted me to have it. And I still have it...to this day. In fact it's hanging up and I'm staring at it right now:)

Now over the years as some innocence was tarnished and my reflection of past days had become a little more murky, I realize that dreamcatchers don't magically banish bad dreams. I should know that...I've had my fair share. But none-then-less it has never stopped my love for them and the hope that just maybe they can redeem themselves one day, or the thought that maybe they have saved me from some of the more horrible dreams that could have slipped through that webbing at night. After all, helping control my dreams has to be a full time job!

And still, every time I pass one I have to pick it up and I believe that my family, including my husband, is secretly thankful that I had forgotten over the years how exactly my dad made those dreamcatchers. Then we'd all be in trouble!

So here's to the dreamcatchers in every corner of my room and dangling from the ceiling. And here's a thank you to the ones who have opened me up to their world. And now you know my story behind the dreamcatcher and the base of what started it all.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Jessie! Helps me to see a different side to Awakening Iris now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I just thought others might want to know why dreamcatchers:) And it's really nice that you can get another view of Awakening Iris as well!

    ReplyDelete